The Bag Trends Giving Life to Spring 2019
Ready to thaw out after such a long and cold winter? We have forecasted this season’s five main bag trends, so you can soak up the sun’s rays in style all spring long.
Eager to shed winter’s bulky layers, we have been stocking up on trenches, wrap dresses, and strappy sandals since the sun first emerged for a couple days back in February. We admit, it is a bit hasty of us, but when it comes to warmer, longer days, we are wishful dreamers every year. Already shopping for spring wardrobe essentials like us? Do not forget that no outfit is complete without the perfect bag! Scroll down to make sure you elevate your looks with this spring’s must-haves. After all, there is nothing like a little retail therapy to cure a bad case of spring fever.
A true staple, a good pair of blue jeans is always in season. But, after a long winter, it is always nice to toss them aside and let your legs bask in the sun for a little while. Having separation anxiety? Accessorize with denim instead! If Chanel’s shelves are any indicator, then denim is thematerial for bags this season. The question is: are you daring enough to rock a full, head-to-toe denim look á la Justin and Britney at the 2001 AMAs?
- This Prada Tote, in a classic blue denim wash, is the bag you will want to carry to all your park picnics this spring. With side snaps, you can keep it compact to fit only your personal items or expand it to also fit a blanket, a bottle of rosé, and some snacks. Its interior pockets are sized to hold your sunscreen, chap stick, and phone, so you will never have to go digging for them again. The most durable of materials, this denim bag can handle a little wear and tear and will last for springs to come.
- Named after Lady Diana, the Lady Dior is a symbol of haute couture elegance, grace, and sophistication. In a light wash denim, this style is dressed down – ideal for the still classy, yet more casual girl. Tuck your laptop in it and carry it to work this spring. Go ahead, give yourself the royal treatment.
With the Dior Saddle and Fendi Baguette leading the way, ‘90s ‘IT bags’ are making a major comeback this spring. While the short-strap, under-arm styles are an obvious favorite, the more functional backpacks and belt bags should not be counted out. We are more than happy to welcome the return of all our old army candy, but let’s agree to leave low-rise jeans a fad of the past.
- First worn by Paris Hilton and Destiny’s Child in the ‘90s, the Dior Saddle is now being spotted under the arms of Kendall Jenner and Bella Hadid. Its signature shape will put the perfect finishing touch on any spring outfit, instantly making it look red carpet worthy. If its silhouette and repeated logo pattern are not enough to satisfy your ‘90s cravings, then place yourself on our waitlist for a style with embellishments. It might be 2019, but the Dior Saddle rides again!
- Traveling somewhere warmer for Spring Break? Prada’s Nylon Backpack is the ultimate plane companion. Big enough to fit everything you will need to pass the time on a long flight, and compact enough to tuck under the seat in front of you. Strut through the terminal looking like one of the OG supermodels that sported this bag – hung over one shoulder, of course – back in the ‘90s. Stand out with this rare color combo, or snag another from our wide selection.
Some are so micro you might actually miss them, but look closely and you will see that mini bags are taking over runways and Instagram feeds this season. The most extreme designs are so teeny-tiny they can hold, at most, only a couple of coins (see: Jacquemus’ Mini Le Chiquito).While this trend is definitely more about aesthetics than practicality, you do not need to resort to stuffing your pockets to get the look. There are many styles that are shrunken enough to leave you squealing with delight when you see them, but are still able to stash your card holder, keys, and IPhone – though, probably not a Plus. They say good things come in small packages, and miniatures of all our favorite silhouettes are this spring’s proof.
- This baby Dior bowling bag might be adorable, but do not let its size fool you. It is deep enough to carry everything you could possibly need on a weekend brunch date, but not so deep that you will have to dump its contents onto the table just to find your hair elastic. With its two interior pockets, it has a place for everything. Dior sacrificed no detail when sizing down its classic. Try to take your eyes off its sweet, gold ‘D’ hardware; we dare you.
- This pint-sized Celine is best for those days and nights that you want to travel light. Mix the iconic Macadam pattern with your favorite floral print dress for an afternoon spritzer, or with a sleek, all-back outfit for a dinner date. It will fit everything you need without weighing you down.
As much as this season is about the small, it is also about the mighty. This past fashion week circuit, nearly every influencer was pictured lugging large – and we mean really large– totes from show-to-show. Big enough to carry your whole life, the rise of the XL tote means that no more essentials need to be left behind. Because three extra tubes of lipstick count as essential, right? Swing it over your shoulder, or fold it up and hold it at your hip. Either way, we promise you will look bag lady chic. Start lifting weights now in preparation.
- No longer just a bag for weekend trips, this oversized Gucci tote is now on-trend for everyday use as well. Say good-bye to your standard briefcase or backpack, and step out for work or school with this spring style instead. It is spacious enough to fit your laptop, chargers, books, lunch, and more. This tote zips closed, so it will keep all your belongings secure on your commute!
- Toss last year’s crocheted shopper aside, and carry this massive Fendi to the market instead. It is roomy enough to hold all your fresh produce and flower purchases, and has an interior pocket where you can store your phone, keys, and wallet separately. A true carryall, you will never need to juggle shopping bags and your purse again! And, added bonus: if you happen to get caught in one of April’s notorious rain showers on the walk home, its vinyl exterior is completely waterproof!
Pops of Color
Pops of color? In spring? We know, this trend is not exactly revolutionary. But, this spring is all about deeper, richer shades of the season’s usual go-tos. So, put away the pastels and opt for moodier hues instead!
- Designed to hold up to six bottles of champagne, Louis Vuitton’s Noe screams spring – especially in this marigold hue. Show up to every garden party carrying it this season, and all the guests will know you are bringing the bubbles.
- In faded lavender, Balenciaga’s 12-studded First is the perfect example of feminine edge. With its shoulder strap, it will transition seamlessly between days out shopping and nights out dancing. Holding the First, your spring look will appear much more effortless this year.